Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Small Business and the next President

As I watch this 2nd Presidential debate, I am increasingly more frustrated by both candidates and their ever-changing plans. From a small business owner's perspective, it's difficult to navigate the tax and health plans they are discussing; with so much bickering and claims that the other man's plan is faux... what can we really believe?

In the early days of starting a business and hiring your first few employees, a mandate to offer health care coverage would be staggering. I've dealt with these issues and such a mandate would entirely compromise a business owner's ability to produce and grow the product because staffing and employer taxes are often the highest expense line on the P&L. As for the tax increase or the tax cuts, are we really sure what either one of them can or will do once they inherit the $850 billion "rescue" expense?

Personally, I wish there was a complete overhaul of the Presidential election process so that it doesn't require half-a-billion dollars to be elected, or that the person who raises the most money, fastest, doesn't have an advantage, or that the media would be fined by the FCC for non-objective and irrelevant coverage... and my list of recommendations could go on!

I never thought I'd see the day when I would agree with DL Hughley but on Larry King Live a few months ago, he said the bottom line is that they both want to win and they will say just about anything to get your vote. It's very frustrating, especially when, as small business owners, our livelihood is on the line. We need clear plans that are not so divided along party lines, but divided by what's right and wrong for the American people. This is not about an election, it's about our lives and there's no do-over for us.

1 comment:

The MW in MWPR said...

I so agree with your perspective. This entire presidential season brings with it mixed emotions. It is extremely important to my future both personally and professionally. But, at the end of the day, my faith is not in either man. May God truly bless America.